Все для тех, кому нужен английский язык!

Развлечения и отдых

Общение | Конкурсы | Афиша | Коллекции | Копилка

Форум | Ищу репетитора | Разговорные клубы

20 Май 2024, 01:35

Добро пожаловать, Гость.

Пожалуйста, войдите или зарегистрируйтесь чтобы оставить сообщение.
Начало Помощь Поиск Правила форума Войти Регистрация
forum.englishteacher.ru  |  Английский язык  |  Speak English (Модератор: A.K.L.)  |  Men and clever women « предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Страниц: [1] 2 Ответ Печать
Автор Тема: Men and clever women  (Прочитано 40499 раз)
Gorashik
пользователь

« : 04 Январь 2012, 10:09 » Процитировать

Do men love clever women?
tourist
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #1 : 04 Январь 2012, 11:22 » Процитировать

It depends what you mean under the notion "clever women"
If a clever woman would like a man to love her, he will love her in most cases. Of course if you equate clever and trained or skilled - I think you can be skilled and educated and know a lot, but you at the same time can be socially ignorant and not clever or smart at all. It depends about what you think when say "clever".

Personally I don't think that there is any mental difference or difference in cleverness between men and women. Women can be in most cases even much cleverer than men in many issues, especially in those such as household, shopping, negotiation, etc.
Men, otherwise, could calculate better or do hard work, where you don't need to be very clever, or just to have some beer (is it too clever?)
Not many men would consider if a woman is too clever as far as she allows him to socialize with friends and have his glass of beer. And when a woman gives him some change to pay for that beer, he will be even happy. ab
A.K.L.
Administrator
пользователь

« Ответ #2 : 04 Январь 2012, 22:30 » Процитировать

I don't think that there is any mental difference or difference in cleverness between men and women.
I'm sure that men are cleverer than women.
  bw  bh  ah
ibelk
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #3 : 04 Январь 2012, 23:17 » Процитировать

Sometimes men do love clever women, but not for their cleverness. From my personal observations, if a man loves a clever woman, her cleverness is nothing more than a minor concurrent factor; you may be sure she has other qualities that really attract men. I also doubt that a woman can fall in love with a man just because he is clever. I suppose cleverness is the quality that can only inspire respect or arouse envy, but is unable to give rise to love.
SemaRogov
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #4 : 05 Январь 2012, 02:17 » Процитировать

Men do love clever women if these women are kind-hearted and their souls are beautiful.
Gibsonmpgu
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #5 : 05 Январь 2012, 02:27 » Процитировать

But what if a woman is stupid but kind-hearted and with a beautiful soul?
NS
пользователь

« Ответ #6 : 05 Январь 2012, 14:43 » Процитировать

Do men love clever women?

If you want to love - just love, just do it. But when we start discussing different things ... the object of our love, etc. it's not a love. Love is not a thing or something specific.
I strongly disagree that we can do love. It won't be love, it'll be any thing but not love.

But what if a woman is stupid but kind-hearted and with a beautiful soul?

If a person has a beautiful soul he or she can't be stupid. I think it's impossible. "...there is any mental difference or difference in cleverness between men and women" -I have the same point of view.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #7 : 05 Январь 2012, 21:12 » Процитировать

Men like clever women, if they enough clever for that what not show to men them perfectness.
NS
пользователь

« Ответ #8 : 05 Январь 2012, 22:57 » Процитировать

A clever man never be offended by somebody's perfectness or he's not a clever man )))
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #9 : 06 Январь 2012, 01:11 » Процитировать

Yep!
tourist
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #10 : 08 Январь 2012, 22:38 » Процитировать

First it would be appropriate to give a definition what man can be considered clever. What he should do to be considered such. At the same time, what clever woman is should defined as well. Because there are few spheres or people who could be comparable completely.
What I try to do is to say that men and women's cleverness could be different. One person could outwit another in one fild that the second one could outwit the first one in another fild.

Don't you think that we need a definition for "cleverness"?
Tina^)
пользователь

:)

« Ответ #11 : 08 Январь 2012, 23:18 » Процитировать

As for me a clever woman she is a bitch. Men like clever women, so they love to bitch.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #12 : 09 Январь 2012, 01:10 » Процитировать

As for me a clever woman she is a bitch. Men like clever women, so they love to bitch.

No no no, never needs no one clever women in this sense! ag
Yuri P
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #13 : 09 Январь 2012, 07:59 » Процитировать

As far as I know, in modern English the word "clever", if applied to a person, is not a compliment. "Clever" means something like "хитроумный" or even "хитрож*пый".
"Умный" in a good sense is "smart" or "intelligent".
tourist
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #14 : 09 Январь 2012, 09:26 » Процитировать

Yuri P
I am not sure in your definitions.
It seems to me that a clever one is one who is able to calculate and this who knows science. Smart applies to those who are able to find a solution in different situations, not only to calculate or know science. They are both positive but it is better when you are clever and smart at the same time ab
Yuri P
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #15 : 09 Январь 2012, 10:07 » Процитировать

Yuri P
I am not sure in your definitions.
I am not sure either as I am not a native speaker. I've just done a quick search and it seems there is a difference in the use of "clever" and "smart" between Brits and Americans. However, look at this quote from OALD:
People use clever in the phrase : Clever boy/girl! to tell a young child that they have learnt or done something well. When used to or about an adult clever can be disapproving.
So the question is what makes it disapproving and how we can recognize this case.
tourist
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #16 : 09 Январь 2012, 10:27 » Процитировать

Yuri P
It is a matter of usage. It is like in Russian: "Умный мальчик, правильно решил задачку" vs "Слишком умный да после боя кулаками не машут"
You need to calculate its meaning from the context.
But the common use of "clever" is to say that somebody does well in calculation or in general studying or something. It would mean that a person can manage some tasks according to the curriculum. But when you are smart you can manage something extra that you weren't taught, but you could work out on your own. If you discover something, or make right but unexpected decision than you will be smart.
Just see those trivial meaning of those words in a dictionary and you will find out what is what.
Yuri P
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #17 : 09 Январь 2012, 11:19 » Процитировать

"Слишком умный да после боя кулаками не машут"
What does this mean? I don't understand the phrase. And of course it's obvious that "too clever" can be disapproving, but we are talking about "clever" itself being disapproving.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #18 : 09 Январь 2012, 12:56 » Процитировать

As far as I know, in modern English the word "clever", if applied to a person, is not a compliment. "Clever" means something like "хитроумный" or even "хитрож*пый".
"Умный" in a good sense is "smart" or "intelligent".

This is like on true. Especially in context of this theme!))) ag ag

Really, how do you think to use such word near with word "bitch". Indeed the word "smart"? ag
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #19 : 09 Январь 2012, 12:59 » Процитировать

Or "intelligemt"!!!
Страниц: [1] 2 Ответ Печать 
« предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Перейти в:  
+ Быстрый ответ

Для прикрепления файлов нажмите на кнопку