Все для тех, кому нужен английский язык!

Развлечения и отдых

Общение | Конкурсы | Афиша | Коллекции | Копилка

Форум | Ищу репетитора | Разговорные клубы

27 Апрель 2024, 15:01

Добро пожаловать, Гость.

Пожалуйста, войдите или зарегистрируйтесь чтобы оставить сообщение.
Начало Помощь Поиск Правила форума Войти Регистрация
forum.englishteacher.ru  |  Английский язык  |  Speak English (Модератор: A.K.L.)  |  Men and clever women « предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Страниц: 1 [2] Ответ Печать
Автор Тема: Men and clever women  (Прочитано 40006 раз)
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #20 : 09 Январь 2012, 13:20 » Процитировать

Yuri P
It is a matter of usage. It is like in Russian: "Умный мальчик, правильно решил задачку" vs "Слишком умный да после боя кулаками не машут"
You need to calculate its meaning from the context.
But the common use of "clever" is to say that somebody does well in calculation or in general studying or something. It would mean that a person can manage some tasks according to the curriculum. But when you are smart you can manage something extra that you weren't taught, but you could work out on your own. If you discover something, or make right but unexpected decision than you will be smart.
Just see those trivial meaning of those words in a dictionary and you will find out what is what.

I have an argument in support of your opinion.

As I yet beginner, I will not operate by high sentence. I will do simply. I open e-dictionary and write there a word "clever" and "smart" (limited result to two).

The e-dictionary do thinking and show me next result:

clever - умный, хитрый

smart - умный, сообразительный

If I beilieve
Yuri P
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #21 : 09 Январь 2012, 13:49 » Процитировать

clever - умный, хитрый

smart - умный, сообразительный
Actually this supports my opinion. "Хитрый" can be disapproving. So it looks like we should use "clever" with care.
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #22 : 16 Июнь 2012, 12:47 » Процитировать

As far as I know, in modern English the word "clever", if applied to a person, is not a compliment. "Clever" means something like "хитроумный" or even "хитрож*пый".
"Умный" in a good sense is "smart" or "intelligent".

Clever
1. Mentally quick and original; bright.
2. Nimble with the hands or body; dexterous.
3. Exhibiting quick-wittedness: a clever story.
4. New England Easily managed; docile: "Oxen must be pretty clever to be bossed around the way they are" (Dialect Notes).
5. New England Affable but not especially smart.
6. Chiefly Southern U.S. Good-natured; amiable.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/clever

So it depends on what definition of 'clever' you use))

Yuri P
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #23 : 16 Июнь 2012, 14:26 » Процитировать

I agree. What definition do you personally prefer? And how would you answer the original question:
Do men love clever women?
ad
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #24 : 16 Июнь 2012, 16:20 » Процитировать

I agree. What definition do you personally prefer? And how would you answer the original question:
ad

If we use the word ‘clever’ traditionally as a synonym for ‘smart’… They say ‘A man falls in love through his eyes; a woman through her ears’.  According to this saying, men don’t tend to measure woman’s intellect but her body.)) I don’t know. I’ma leave it to men to comment on. But as a woman I can say that about us (at least me)) it’s not so true. We do fall in love by appearance too. And how! ‘Look at that cute blonde guy!’))  You know what I mean. I really think that it doesn’t matter what a man’s trying to whisper in woman’s ear if she’s not already good with his face and body.))
Sure we both don’t give up on one’s personality which has intellect as its part. You know I haven’t conducted a survey on that. If we’re talking about that vanishing ideal of a real man, then this sort, to me, obviously prefer ‘clever’ woman simply ‘cause they want to see an interesting person by their side. And plus we always can deal with love.))
If a man is scared of ‘clever’ women then he must feel that his own intellect is inferior to theirs. A macho can call such a woman a ‘bitch’, whore, slut, dumb blonde, or any other names. But it shows that he’s just afraid of that a representative of the weaker sex can be smarter than he. “How come that ‘bitch’be so smart? I don’t have anything to allure her with”))) They’re scared that a woman (who they belittle, and even see as an instrument to satisfy their instincts) can think at all.

Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #25 : 16 Июнь 2012, 16:36 » Процитировать

And plus, what’s ‘clever’ (= smart) can have different meaning in ‘women’s and men’s views. For example, ‘cleverness’ can  socially come as a synonym for ‘sophisticatedness’ or a style. So if a woman is sharply or expensively dressed and acts like a high-class member than she automatically passes for a ‘clever’ person. If a woman presents a bleached blonde dressed to kill then I guess she’ll hardly to be associated with a clever one. If you’re about to defend your dissertation wearing a mini-skirt and a tight blouse then you’ll probably be made fun of)) If an ‘average-brained woman wears a formal suit she’ll definitely be treated like a really smart one. A blonde but really smart female engineer has to prove that she’s at least not that ‘dumb blonde’ and can provide as much efficiency at her work as any man.
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #26 : 17 Июнь 2012, 11:34 » Процитировать

And perhaps there’s another stereotype that ‘clever’ (=smart) woman is ‘independent’, ‘self-possessed’. There’s a song by Brad Paisely called ‘She’s her own woman’. That’s all about a man who enjoys being in a company of a woman who can do well without him. But he likes that. He likes that she doesn’t bug him like ‘How come you not spend time with me working so late!’ She’s not a burden, nor is she a stress factor. Maybe this is what some men likes about  women. Just check this song out. It’s a great example.
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #27 : 17 Июнь 2012, 11:36 » Процитировать

Oops, I made a mistake(( 'A clever woman". Really sorry.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #28 : 17 Июнь 2012, 12:36 » Процитировать

ad

If we use the word ‘clever’ traditionally as a synonym for ‘smart’… They say ‘A man falls in love through his eyes; a woman through her ears’.  According to this saying, men don’t tend to measure woman’s intellect but her body.)) I don’t know. I’ma leave it to men to comment on. But as a woman I can say that about us (at least me)) it’s not so true. We do fall in love by appearance too. And how! ‘Look at that cute blonde guy!’))  You know what I mean. I really think that it doesn’t matter what a man’s trying to whisper in woman’s ear if she’s not already good with his face and body.))
Sure we both don’t give up on one’s personality which has intellect as its part. You know I haven’t conducted a survey on that. If we’re talking about that vanishing ideal of a real man, then this sort, to me, obviously prefer ‘clever’ woman simply ‘cause they want to see an interesting person by their side. And plus we always can deal with love.))
If a man is scared of ‘clever’ women then he must feel that his own intellect is inferior to theirs. A macho can call such a woman a ‘bitch’, whore, slut, dumb blonde, or any other names. But it shows that he’s just afraid of that a representative of the weaker sex can be smarter than he. “How come that ‘bitch’be so smart? I don’t have anything to allure her with”))) They’re scared that a woman (who they belittle, and even see as an instrument to satisfy their instincts) can think at all.

I want to see your photo!  Hurrry!
« Последнее редактирование: 17 Июнь 2012, 13:06 от mirock » Записан
Yuri P
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #29 : 17 Июнь 2012, 12:38 » Процитировать

Perhaps the bottom line could be that tastes differ (I know it's a platitude, but still). Different men like different women and vice versa. Love is irrational, isn't it? ab Some mechanism in you reacts to something you don't even recognize. That's true even about appearence. I've been often disappointed when I've seen the winners of some beauty contests on the internet. They didn't seem to me especially beautiful or sexually attractive. But to those who chose them they probably did. Sometimes I will readily agree that some woman is beautiful, but there is something in her beauty that makes it the beauty of a statue to me, or something like that, i.e. cold and almost purely decorative.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #30 : 17 Июнь 2012, 13:05 » Процитировать

They didn't seem to me especially beautiful or sexually attractive. But to those who chose them they probably did. Sometimes I will readily agree that some woman is beautiful, but there is something in her beauty that makes it the beauty of a statue to me, or something like that, i.e. cold and almost purely decorative.

In America, btw situation is better in this. There almost no difference between women's beauty and sexuality.

But you right sure. Tastes is very different.

Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #31 : 17 Июнь 2012, 19:09 » Процитировать

I want to see your photo!  Hurrry!

Whoa, whoa!))) Why’d you need my photo? What’s so suspicious about what I posted?
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #32 : 21 Июнь 2012, 21:43 » Процитировать

Whoa, whoa!))) Why’d you need my photo? What’s so suspicious about what I posted?

All is good) it's just a joke.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #33 : 21 Июнь 2012, 21:45 » Процитировать

All is good) it's just a joke. I feel a simpathy and naturally I want satisfied my eye for seeing you).
Страниц: 1 [2] Ответ Печать 
« предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Перейти в:  
+ Быстрый ответ

Для прикрепления файлов нажмите на кнопку