Все для тех, кому нужен английский язык!

Развлечения и отдых

Общение | Конкурсы | Афиша | Коллекции | Копилка

Форум | Ищу репетитора | Разговорные клубы

28 Апрель 2024, 22:18

Добро пожаловать, Гость.

Пожалуйста, войдите или зарегистрируйтесь чтобы оставить сообщение.
Начало Помощь Поиск Правила форума Войти Регистрация
forum.englishteacher.ru  |  Английский язык  |  Speak English (Модератор: A.K.L.)  |  Will native english speakers understand me? « предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Страниц: [1] Ответ Печать
Автор Тема: Will native english speakers understand me?  (Прочитано 28762 раз)
:) :) :)
Privileged user
пользователь

M.Zara

« : 19 Май 2013, 14:08 » Процитировать

At first hello!  br
You know, when I chat and text with native english speakers and other people they understand everything I write. But I wonder, if I speak with them (I mean by skype or in real life) will they understand my accent? bn Cause there are a lot of accents and they have own accent. Will it be difficult for them to understand me or it won't? Have you ever talked with a native english speaker? If you have please tell me about it. I ask it cause I don't understand anything when they speak bu bu. But I understand words in songs and some english-teaching programs ag ae. What do you think about it? ah
Milika
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #1 : 19 Май 2013, 14:55 » Процитировать

ZaBDy, you know, we haven't heard your accent. ab

Most native speakers understand foreigners if they pronounce sounds correctly.

To understand native speakers just practice and practice, and practice...
Privileged user
пользователь

M.Zara

« Ответ #2 : 19 Май 2013, 15:16 » Процитировать

ZaBDy, you know, we haven't heard your accent. ab

Most native speakers understand foreigners if they pronounce sounds correctly.

To understand native speakers just practice and practice, and practice...

Yes, you are right. Thank you. And have you ever talked to native english speakers?
SemaRogov
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #3 : 19 Май 2013, 20:34 » Процитировать

ZaBDy, do not be afraid! Native speakers will help you to speak and to be understood. Accent is not a prioblem at all! Just live, love your life  and speak!
Privileged user
пользователь

M.Zara

« Ответ #4 : 20 Май 2013, 11:19 » Процитировать

ZaBDy, do not be afraid! Native speakers will help you to speak and to be understood. Accent is not a prioblem at all! Just live, love your life  and speak!
Hehehe thank you for such an optimistic answer!  ag  bq. I hope so!  ab
yvesito76
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #5 : 23 Май 2013, 08:03 » Процитировать

They will understand you for sure) No worries
Privileged user
пользователь

M.Zara

« Ответ #6 : 25 Май 2013, 11:59 » Процитировать

They will understand you for sure) No worries
I hope so too.  ab
But I have listened to song. It was cover. One russian singer covered it. The song was in english. And in comments an englishman wrote that he didn't understand anything that the singer sing.  bn
So I have some doubts  bw
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #7 : 31 Май 2013, 14:12 » Процитировать

At first hello!  br
You know, when I chat and text with native english speakers and other people they understand everything I write. But I wonder, if I speak with them (I mean by skype or in real life) will they understand my accent? bn Cause there are a lot of accents and they have own accent. Will it be difficult for them to understand me or it won't? Have you ever talked with a native english speaker? If you have please tell me about it. I ask it cause I don't understand anything when they speak bu bu. But I understand words in songs and some english-teaching programs ag ae. What do you think about it? ah

Hey  br

You’re not alone, I bet almost everyone who ever tried it with language learning  has gone through this. I think it’s due to that we mostly learn languages from textbooks and dictionaries rather than from listening. It’s when you’ve gotten accustomed to having a word written on paper but you fail to understand oral speech because of your limited knowledge of accents and pronunciation. Additionally, native speakers use colloquial vocabulary and some low-frequency words that you might not know.

You just need to listen to more authentic speech. You can use Youtube or watch movies with subs. You also can subscribe on a channel by a native English speaker and listen to it daily. Also I think you might want to read more to widen your vocabulary and read English forums to pick up more structures and phrases natives use regularly. With time you’ll probably notice that you understand more than you did before. And don’t forget pronunciation. You can download an accent reduction course or use free Youtube lessons. Phonetics is the key to understanding how natives pronounce the words that you see on paper. Though now I can understand 80-90% of native English speech it’s still when accents are comprehensible rather than regional brogues. I also still find it hard sometimes to get some words from listening. I also use online pronunciation dictionaries  with which you can also listen to how the word is pronounced. 

As for your accent you can post its sample on here. Anyway, sometime if we ignore phonetics and pronunciation of individual words they can fail to understand us. I also noticed that I pronounced some words incorrectly. First you need to make sure that if you wanna say a word you say it right. So if you’re not sure check a dictionary. Also remember that English words are tricky and some words are pronounced differently based on their function as a noun or as a verb. Some words have slightly different pronunciation or stressing in different accents. I’m also scared of that I won’t be understood. On second thought any fear is from poor preparation. Like being afraid of an exam is not a phobia but a feeling that there’s probability that you’ll fail since you didn’t study hard enough. The same goes with languages. With time of practice and learning you’ll get more confident. 
 ab
Privileged user
пользователь

M.Zara

« Ответ #8 : 31 Май 2013, 14:44 » Процитировать

Thank you very much, Olea!  ab
Yes, You are right I think. I should listen to english programms, watch films with sub. Iwatch films with subtitles. The fact is that that when I do it, I honestly read subtitles and don't even listen. That's the problem. But I'll try to watch more and listen  .
Thanks for atention!  bs
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #9 : 31 Май 2013, 17:55 » Процитировать

Thank you very much, Olea!  ab
Yes, You are right I think. I should listen to english programms, watch films with sub. Iwatch films with subtitles. The fact is that that when I do it, I honestly read subtitles and don't even listen. That's the problem. But I'll try to watch more and listen  .
Thanks for atention!  bs

You might wanna watch movies with English subtitles so you can see and listen how it’s pronounced at the same time.
adwise43
Privileged user
пользователь

Бе-да

« Ответ #10 : 01 Июнь 2013, 18:50 » Процитировать

they can fail to understand us.
Я подсчитываю, что the usage of inappropriate words/expressions/constructions leads at least to partial misunderstanding. You will never prove you know any language if you fail to handle it the way you are expected.
tourist
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #11 : 13 Июнь 2013, 15:16 » Процитировать

ZaBDy you can email to my address on the forum and we can chat in Skype. I am sure English speaking people will understand most of what you will tell them if you speak in a way you write and have a nice pronounciation
Privileged user
пользователь

M.Zara

« Ответ #12 : 13 Июнь 2013, 15:22 » Процитировать

Unfortunately, I don't have skype. But yes, I speak the way I write, but I don't know how good my pronunciation is  bn
Thank you anyway!!! ab
tourist
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #13 : 13 Июнь 2013, 16:26 » Процитировать

it isn't difficult to install Skype as long as you have installed the internet on your comp, if you have any
All in all you have to decide if you need to talk with people or not.
If you live in Ukraine we can speak by phone, by the way, if you need a little English speaking practice.
JackRobinson
пользователь

« Ответ #14 : 17 Июнь 2013, 14:12 » Процитировать

Will native english speakers understand me?

are you kidding? ab Just don't speak to them as fast as they do and try to pronounce vowels in such words as 'bad'-'bed', 'hit'-'heat', 'puck'-'park' as different ones ab
Privileged user
пользователь

M.Zara

« Ответ #15 : 15 Июль 2013, 14:59 » Процитировать

it isn't difficult to install Skype as long as you have installed the internet on your comp, if you have any
All in all you have to decide if you need to talk with people or not.
If you live in Ukraine we can speak by phone, by the way, if you need a little English speaking practice.
I don't use skype cause my brother doesn't let me. No, I don't live in Ukraine((. Anyway, thank you for trying to help me).
Privileged user
пользователь

M.Zara

« Ответ #16 : 15 Июль 2013, 15:02 » Процитировать

Will native english speakers understand me?

are you kidding? ab Just don't speak to them as fast as they do and try to pronounce vowels in such words as 'bad'-'bed', 'hit'-'heat', 'puck'-'park' as different ones ab
Hehehehe I just thought maybe they won't understand))). Thanks a lot.  bs And yes, I try to pronounce vowels right. ab
USAman
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #17 : 21 Июль 2013, 08:19 » Процитировать

Will I have native English speakers understanding me?
attila112
пользователь

« Ответ #18 : 23 Январь 2014, 00:44 » Процитировать

At first hello!  br

They will definitely understand you. They got used to it. They've met several foreigners. Such as me. I lived 4 months in the States. And Americans understood me.

« Последнее редактирование: 23 Январь 2014, 11:58 от A.K.L. » Записан
eleuterokok
пользователь

« Ответ #19 : 29 Январь 2014, 11:32 » Процитировать

I regard, what problem is not would you be understood. They will understand you anyway. Comfortable conversation - this is a problem. And this problem is solving by practice.
Страниц: [1] Ответ Печать 
« предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Перейти в:  
+ Быстрый ответ

Для прикрепления файлов нажмите на кнопку