Все для тех, кому нужен английский язык!

Развлечения и отдых

Общение | Конкурсы | Афиша | Коллекции | Копилка

Форум | Ищу репетитора | Разговорные клубы

10 Июнь 2024, 02:14

Добро пожаловать, Гость.

Пожалуйста, войдите или зарегистрируйтесь чтобы оставить сообщение.
Начало Помощь Поиск Правила форума Войти Регистрация
forum.englishteacher.ru  |  Английский язык  |  Speak English (Модератор: A.K.L.)  |  Method of Ilia Frank « предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Страниц: [1] 2 Ответ Печать
Автор Тема: Method of Ilia Frank  (Прочитано 33014 раз)
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« : 12 Июнь 2012, 15:14 » Процитировать

Who had tried to used a method of Ilia Frank for learning? I tried it recently and will try make it further. 'Cause I like this one.

Method is a reading one phrase, after this there is translated phrase and after is a reading of group of phrase one more time.

After this I got many words deeply into my brain. And already I won't lose it. All these words leave there 'cause they are attached to concrete situation which I'll remember and words too.
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #1 : 13 Июнь 2012, 14:18 » Процитировать

Who had tried to used a method of Ilia Frank for learning? I tried it recently and will try make it further. 'Cause I like this one.

Method is a reading one phrase, after this there is translated phrase and after is a reading of group of phrase one more time.

After this I got many words deeply into my brain. And already I won't lose it. All these words leave there 'cause they are attached to concrete situation which I'll remember and words too.

The only valuable method is to use English study books written by natives. In your case you need to check grammar and vocabulary 'cause you use loan translation instead of using proper equivalents that wouldn't sound too Russian.

For example,

Who had tried to used a method of Ilia Frank for learning?

The grammar here is totally incorrect. I'm really sorry to say that, trust me. It should've been 'Who have tried the method of Ilia Frank to learn English?"

I tried it recently and will try make it further.

I've tried ... I'm going to try to use it further.

The method is based on reading (это герундий, поэтому артикль неуместен) a phrase, afterwards the phrase is translated. Later reading a group of phrases follows again.

Lol! There's no such idiom. Just should've been put like 'Afterwards I memorized a lot of words.
The next phrase is a calque. Use something like 'So I guess I won't forget them'.
to leave = to go away
You probably meant 'to live'?
...and the words too))
Gibsonmpgu
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #2 : 13 Июнь 2012, 15:18 » Процитировать

No use ...
MDanova
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #3 : 13 Июнь 2012, 20:34 » Процитировать

I tried to use his method when reading a book in Italian. It didn't work for me as I don't consider reading the basic tool for studying a foreign language. I guess it's much better to use English or any other language you're studying in imaginary situations - unless you have an opportunity to practise your English in real life. You just sit down and imagine that you're going to... well, for instance, to book a room at a hotel. And you're calling a receptionist, who says it's a pleasure for him to hear you and asks what kind of room you would prefer. And you say that you want this and that. He describes all suitable offers, and you choose a few as 'decent', and you ask about prices and so on.

Or you imagine yourself at the dinner and you ask someone to pass you the salt or the bread or whatever.

All this method takes is love for the language and its rules and attention ab
Yuri P
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #4 : 14 Июнь 2012, 08:21 » Процитировать

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard it's good for learning new words. Not sure about grammar though. Different English tenses are often translated into the same Russian tense, so how are you supposed to figure out the difference? Grammar is more abstract than the meaning of words.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #5 : 16 Июнь 2012, 12:45 » Процитировать

I tried to use his method when reading a book in Italian. It didn't work for me as I don't consider reading the basic tool for studying a foreign language. I guess it's much better to use English or any other language you're studying in imaginary situations - unless you have an opportunity to practise your English in real life. You just sit down and imagine that you're going to... well, for instance, to book a room at a hotel. And you're calling a receptionist, who says it's a pleasure for him to hear you and asks what kind of room you would prefer. And you say that you want this and that. He describes all suitable offers, and you choose a few as 'decent', and you ask about prices and so on.

Or you imagine yourself at the dinner and you ask someone to pass you the salt or the bread or whatever.

All this method takes is love for the language and its rules and attention ab

I've tried something like this. In other words - it is talk with yourself.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #6 : 16 Июнь 2012, 12:50 » Процитировать

The only valuable method is to use English study books written by natives. In your case you need to check grammar and vocabulary 'cause you use loan translation instead of using proper equivalents that wouldn't sound too Russian.

For example,

Who had tried to used a method of Ilia Frank for learning?

The grammar here is totally incorrect. I'm really sorry to say that, trust me. It should've been 'Who have tried the method of Ilia Frank to learn English?"

I tried it recently and will try make it further.

I've tried ... I'm going to try to use it further.

The method is based on reading (это герундий, поэтому артикль неуместен) a phrase, afterwards the phrase is translated. Later reading a group of phrases follows again.

Lol! There's no such idiom. Just should've been put like 'Afterwards I memorized a lot of words.
The next phrase is a calque. Use something like 'So I guess I won't forget them'.
to leave = to go away
You probably meant 'to live'?
...and the words too))

Thank you for such wide answer and advices. Sure, I've many mistakes 'cause I chosen fairly odious method of learning.
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #7 : 17 Июнь 2012, 20:06 » Процитировать

Thank you for such wide answer and advices. Sure, I've many mistakes 'cause I chosen fairly odious method of learning.

I appreciate that you’d noticed my corrections.
What’s this special method of learning English then?

I do make mistakes, and maybe on this forum somebody will notice mine. But I just couldn’t ignore yours. Don’t call me ‘Grammar Nazi!)) Just in this one sentence you forgot about articles and that ‘advice’ doesn’t have a plural form. You used the third form of ‘choose’ in the Simple Past tense where you should’ve used the Present Perfect tense. And better use the word ‘broad’ rather than ‘wide’ with ‘advice’.
Anyway,  take my advice: don’t give up on grammar.)) You just need to find a good English grammar book written in English, not Bonk’s stuff.)) And if you have free time to spend on the Internet, do hang out on English-native forums, say British or American. It’ll help you get rid of loan translation and understand English logic better. And plus, do use English-English dictionaries. They really help  figure out how to use words, ‘cause they can have  different meanings than the translation in a bilingual dictionary.
Good luck with English!
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #8 : 21 Июнь 2012, 21:41 » Процитировать

Thanks for advices and parting words.

My method is simple. I just live in engish and I try to develope into it, like child. Which don't learn grammar and just talks as they can. With mistakes and wrong things. Step by step I anyway get the skills that i need.
tourist
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #9 : 23 Июнь 2012, 14:30 » Процитировать

mirock
I never used the method of Illia Frank as it is, as I have not known what it is. I remember, however, taking two books - in English and in Russian of the same story and I tried to figure out what the meanings of the words were without using any dictionary. Of course it wasn't exactly that method, but it was helpful as I didn't have a proper dictionary at that time and it took a lot of time to look for words in a dictionary, thus, it was much easier to compare two books.
It would be useful if those two texts could have been kept in mind for fairly long time. But at least I could learn some new words and it was kind of progress, as it was much slower to learn words from a textbook where I should do various exercises and read texts and could memorize 10 to 20 words per lesson, and a lesson could take several days - and I couldn't learn a lesson much quicker than that. Even worse - I think now that I should have spent even more time studying every lesson, thus, achieving better comprehension and easing further studying. Alas, time has passed away and I know what I know - many words which I couldn't able to put in decent English sentences.  I know you are studying grammar now as well, so maybe you should pay more attention to it so that you shouldn't return back to poorly learnt lesson but go ahead in strides. Good luck!
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #10 : 23 Июнь 2012, 18:24 » Процитировать

Ok. Thanks for posting. I saw one drawback from this method. I see translate earlier tnan I can catch it by myself. For me, it was better if would basic part gives firstly and divide phrases with translate would follow after them. I'll try to read without this. Just with yandex bar translator in Mozilla if I don't know of someone word.
« Последнее редактирование: 23 Июнь 2012, 18:26 от mirock » Записан
MDanova
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #11 : 23 Июнь 2012, 20:21 » Процитировать

I've tried something like this. In other words - it is talk with yourself.
Well, yes, in a way. But if you've got powerful imagination, you can carry out a good dialogue ab You can imagine three or four people sharing their news and discussing their friends etc.
tourist
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #12 : 23 Июнь 2012, 21:39 » Процитировать

Sometimes you can read a book by using that electronic dictionary that when you push the cursor under a certain word would give a translation of the word. Thus you can learn an approximate meaning of the word and figure out the meaning of the phrase as a whole without using the method of Illia Frank and without seeing Russian translation prior to reading the English text.
Or you can try that method I mentioned - when you have two books in different languages and if you don't understand the English text you can compare it with the Russian one and try to figure out the meaning of unknown words.
Nevertheless you would want to learn little grammar to be more confident while reading and not to make simple mistakes when writing, like   
drawback from this method
Are you sure the preposition
from
should have been here? And some other minor mistakes which probably don't hinder understanding but sound not good enough even for a student's ear. Don't you think it is so?

Chriss18
пользователь

« Ответ #13 : 25 Июнь 2012, 17:33 » Процитировать

I've found a great idiom for you (as well as for us)
to commit to memory - заучивать {глаг.}
=to memorize something

for instance:
Do we have to commit this poem to memory?
I haven't got a pen to write down your phone number - I'll just have to commit it to memory.
If you want to learn a language well, you have to commit to memory long lists of vocabulary and grammatical rules.

LET US SAY........ AFTER ALL I committed to memory many words...... ab
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #14 : 26 Июнь 2012, 06:06 » Процитировать

I've found a great idiom for you (as well as for us)
to commit to memory - заучивать {глаг.}
=to memorize something

for instance:
Do we have to commit this poem to memory?
I haven't got a pen to write down your phone number - I'll just have to commit it to memory.
If you want to learn a language well, you have to commit to memory long lists of vocabulary and grammatical rules.

LET US SAY........ AFTER ALL I committed to memory many words...... ab

That's good idiom. I'll try to commit this to memory)
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #15 : 26 Июнь 2012, 13:51 » Процитировать

Thanks for advices and parting words.

My method is simple. I just live in engish and I try to develope into it, like child. Which don't learn grammar and just talks as they can. With mistakes and wrong things. Step by step I anyway get the skills that i need.

But it's time you grew up!  bq If you wanna speak good English than you're gonna have to get to work on your mistakes to not make 'em anymore.

Grammar's a creepy thing, but it's what can help make yourself understood efficiently.
MDanova
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #16 : 26 Июнь 2012, 19:18 » Процитировать

Yes, and, mirock, I must say your sentences are often so unclear due to your poor grammar (sorry, but that's true) that I have to spend a few minutes trying to understand what you meant to say.
mirock
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #17 : 27 Июнь 2012, 08:51 » Процитировать

Yes, and, mirock, I must say your sentences are often so unclear due to your poor grammar (sorry, but that's true) that I have to spend a few minutes trying to understand what you meant to say.

I agree, my speaking is not good as yet
I had a few break in learning and I lost some progress in writing and couldn't add colors in my palette.
But I had saw more serial movie and tv programs and my listening became better.

So, my level is primitive but even this is enough for talking with foreigners without problem. Practice will give me all that I need.
Olea
пользователь

« Ответ #18 : 27 Июнь 2012, 11:23 » Процитировать

I agree, my speaking is not good as yet
I had a few break in learning and I lost some progress in writing and couldn't add colors in my palette.
But I had saw more serial movie and tv programs and my listening became better.

So, my level is primitive but even this is enough for talking with foreigners without problem. Practice will give me all that I need.

Mirock, I don't mean to be hypercritical (my English is not that perfect), but you need to start with Grammar. You need to work it out well just to become more comprehensive. Those foreigners just might be nice to you, but that doesn't mean that they really think your English's good (don't be mad at me, OK!  ab
This "my level is primitive but it's enough" attitude is dead wrong, you know. "Practice makes perfect' only if your background is strong. Otherwise you'll end up talking Runglish. OK, just figure out, if,say, a construction engineer doesn't have a sufficient knowledge but thinks 'I'm gonna practise'. Guess what's gonna be?! A disaster, damage, deaths under collapsed constuctions, right? OK you can say that you don't have that responsibility. Right, you don't. But...you must feel responsible for efficiency of your English level, how well you're understood and whether it's  easy and comfortable to you to communicate in English. And plus, grammar can open the door to job and study opportunities in future, which you won't get with all incorrect English. Just think about it. And don't be a lazy bone))  bt
Gibsonmpgu
Privileged user
пользователь

« Ответ #19 : 27 Июнь 2012, 12:41 » Процитировать

And don't be a lazy bone))  bt
lazybones

to Olea
Long ago, I was the first trying to persuade Mirock that he should do Grammar. Unfortunately, I failed. He proved to be extremely stubborn. Nothing has changed. He has just increased his vocabulary. Maybe he is right in his way. So, I don't think you should waste your time. According to him, he's the boss.
Страниц: [1] 2 Ответ Печать 
« предыдущая тема следующая тема »
Перейти в:  
+ Быстрый ответ

Для прикрепления файлов нажмите на кнопку